RV and Boat Self Storage – Off-Season Care and Preparation
When the summer season winds down, it’s time to think about storing away your RV or boat for the winter. Using a self-storage service can be a great option, as its facilities have the capacity and come equipped to meet your RV and boat requirements. By observing just a few basic care procedures, you can ensure that your vehicle or watercraft is stored properly and ready for adventure when warmer temperatures return in the spring.
RV and Boat Storage Solutions: Key Features
Whether you have a boat, RV or trailer, it’s essential to store it safely when you aren’t using it during the winter season. At Public Storage, we offer a variety of storage unit types and sizes, along with several features to help protect your investment, such as:
- Professional expertise to help you find the best storage solution for your unique situation
- 24-hour electronic surveillance to monitor storage areas throughout the site
- Multiple locations across the country in or near major urban centres for ease of access
- Convenient payment options and promotions to save you time and money
- A month-to-month lease to provide maximum flexibility
RV and Boat Storage Solution Options
At Public Storage, we have several unit types and sizes to choose from to suit your needs. For boat, RV, and trailer storage, here are our recommendations:
You Want to Store:
Motorcycles, Snowmobiles or ATVs.
10’x15’ (150 sq. feet) indoor unit or outside standard parking space
- Approximately the size of standard single-car garage
- Suitable for a small pop-up trailer, ATV (all-terrain vehicle) or small watercraft, e.g. Sea-Doo
- Extra space to store smaller seasonal equipment and accessories, e.g. spare tires, life vests, helmets, camping gear, etc.
You Want to Store:
Boat with trailer
10’x20’ (200 sq. feet) indoor unit or long outside vehicle parking space
- Approximately the size of a large single-car garage
- Suitable for a small boat with trailer (outdoor or indoor, depending on height clearance)
- Extra space for recreational equipment and accessories, canoe or kayak, sports equipment, etc.
You Want to Store:
Small RV or Boat
10’x25’ (250 sq. feet) indoor unit or extra-long outside vehicle parking space
- Similar in size to a single-car garage with extra depth
- Suitable for small recreational vehicle (outdoor parking space) or boat, e.g. bowrider
- Extra space for recreational and sports equipment, seasonal accessories, bicycles, barbecue, canoe
You Want to Store:
Large RV or Boat
10’x30’ (300 sq. feet) indoor unit or outside parking space for heavy-duty vehicles and RVs
- Comparable in size to a double-car garage
- Provides space for a large recreational vehicle (outside parking space) or boat, e.g. deck boat
- Extra room for boating and recreational equipment, motorcycle, camping gear, canoe, and seasonal items like patio set, lawnmower, snowblower, etc.
In deciding whether an indoor or outside storage space is best, don’t forget to factor in the unit’s height and door clearance. Still unsure about the amount of storage space you’ll need? Use our storage calculator to determine the right unit size for you!
RV Storage Preparation
Keep your RV secure and ready for the next journey by preparing it for storage. Here are some basic tasks to help winterize your vehicle:
- Tidy the interior of your RV and remove personal belongings
- Prevent frozen pipes by turning off the water heater and allowing the water to drain
- Fill the water system with antifreeze
- Remove batteries
- Use a dehumidifier to help prevent moisture and mould damage to the interior
- Seal any cracks and openings to prevent pests from getting in
- Fully inflate tires
- Clean awning and air conditioner filters to prevent moisture buildup
- Thoroughly wash the exterior of your RV and seal it with a coat of wax afterwards
- Cover your RV with a breathable tarp
For more on RV Storage Preparation visit How to Prepare Your RV for Winter Storage
Where to Store Your RV
Our locations come equipped with security surveillance, outdoor parking, affordable payments and more. We have suitable RV and trailer storage sizes available across the country. Learn more about a self-storage facility near you! Still have questions about storage? Check out our handy FAQ page for more info!
Alberta RV Storage
British Columbia RV Storage
Ontario RV Storage
Québec RV Storage
Boat Storage Preparation
Keep your boat secure and ready for the next boat season by preparing it for boat self-storage. Here are some tasks to winterize your watercraft:
- Make sure to remove your personal belongings from the boat
- Put a moisture absorbent product inside your boat to help prevent excess moisture buildup
- Power wash the exterior of the boat and apply wax afterwards to prevent potential rust formation during storage
- Flush liquids such as the coolant system and add antifreeze
- Remove batteries and dry belts to prevent them from getting damaged during the winter
- Perform an oil change
- Check to see if you need to fill the fuel tank and use a marine fuel stabilizer to help prevent corrosion
- Apply a boat cover to protect your watercraft
For more Boat Storage Preparation visit our Boat Storage: Practical Tips post for more detailed tips.
When You’re About to Store Your Boat
If you’re planning to store your boat in a self-storage facility, here are some important to-do’s to keep in mind when you get there:
- If you don’t already have a boat cover over your boat at this point, cover it up to protect it during storage from dirt, dust and sunlight
- Close any openings like doors and windows
- Don’t forget to visit the facility to check on your boat periodically for the storage duration
- For additional security, you can install locks on the engine and wheels
Where to Store Your Boat
Our locations come equipped with security surveillance, outdoor parking, affordable payments and more! We have suitable boat storage units available across the country. Learn more about a boat self-storage facility near you.