Recreational Vehicle Self Storage – How to Store ATVs, Motorcycles & Snowmobiles for the Off-Season
Hitting the trails with your recreational vehicle offers an unparalleled sense of adventure and thrill. Like most Canadians, though, you’ve also discovered that climate and weather affect where and when you can enjoy these experiences, depending on the time of year. So, whether it’s an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), motorcycle or snowmobile, you’ll require a space to store it away during the off-season. Fortunately, no matter what type of recreational vehicle you own, using a vehicle self-storage unit can be a safe, affordable solution to keep your ride secure and in top-notch condition when not on the road.
Recreational Vehicle Storage Solutions: Key Features
At Public Storage, self-storage units come in a variety of sizes and types, along with several amenities to choose from that can help protect your investment. Here are some of our key storage features:
Storage Solution Expertise
When you’re looking for world-class customer service as part of your storage experience, Public Storage continues to be the leading brand name. By employing a 40-year company heritage of industry know-how, our self-storage professionals can find you the ideal storage solution to suit your vehicle.
At many locations, Public Storage features temperature-controlled units to protect your items from environmental extremes. For a small vehicle like a motorcycle, ATV, or snowmobile, opt for a heated unit with drive-up access where possible for both ease and convenience.
Take advantage of round-the-clock safety with electronic surveillance to monitor your stored goods. All our facilities are equipped with electronic gated access and personal PIN code to add an extra layer of security on the premises.
Over 60 Locations Nation-wide
Public Storage has multiple locations throughout the country in major residential, business and industrial centres for maximum convenience and handy access 365 days a year. Find a Public Storage facility near you.
Flexible Options to Save on Storage
With Public Storage, you’ll be able to find the perfect storage solution that saves you time and money, too. Featuring flexible month-to-month leasing, our storage units have an array of price points to both fit your budget and suit your unique situation, depending on unit type. Save your valuable time with the convenience of online payments or by signing up for our Pre-Authorized Payment Plan to make managing your payments even easier. We run specials and promotions throughout the year to help stretch your dollar, so check out our promotions and learn how to save more on great deals!
Recreational Vehicle Storage Solutions: Size Guide
Public Storage has several unit sizes available to meet a wide range of storage needs. For storing a small recreational vehicle, here are some popular options:
5’x10’ (50 square feet)
- About the size of a walk-in closet
- Great size for a motorcycle, scooter, or dirt bike
- Fits accessories like helmets, saddle bags, toolbox, and miscellaneous gear
10’x10’ (100 square feet)
- About half the size of a single-car garage
- Provides space for an ATV, snowmobile, or motorcycle with side-car
- Extra space available for accessories, seasonal sports and recreational equipment, camping gear, etc.
10’x15’ (150 square feet)
- Approximately the size of a standard single-car garage
- Fits any two-wheeled recreational vehicle, touring ATVs, snowmobiles, etc.
- Additional space suitable for accessories and gear, extra seasonal items, bicycles, deck chairs, camping equipment, etc.
Wondering about how much storage space you’ll really need? Our storage calculator can help figure out the right unit size for you!
ATV Storage Tips
To keep your ATV in working condition for next spring, you’ll need to help prepare it for storage. Use our suggestions below to protect your ride:
- Thoroughly wash your ATV
- Lubricate your ATV to prevent corrosion
- Fill the tank with fresh fuel and use a stabilizer to prevent condensation
- Change the oil filter
- Top off the coolant if necessary
- Remove and charge the battery
- Inflate tires
- Screen or cover vents and other openings
- Use a breathable tarp to cover your ATV while in storage
Where to Store Your ATV
At Public Storage, we have suitable ATV storage unit sizes available nation-wide. Learn more about an ATV storage facility near you.
Motorcycle Storage Tips
When the time comes to put your motorcycle away for the season, make sure to also prepare it for the next riding opportunity. Here are some quick tips:
- Thoroughly wash your motorcycle and apply a coat of wax
- Make sure the gas tank is full and add fuel stabilizer
- Remove and charge the battery
- Change the oil
- Make sure the tires have the correct air pressure
Learn how to get the jump on winter totally with more tips on motorcycle maintenance and storage.
Where to Store Your Motorcycle
Public Storage has units suitable for motorcycle storage at many locations across the country. Find an available storage unit near you.
Snowmobile Storage Tips
Planning to store your snowmobile when temperatures warm up? Help maintain your seasonal ride with these proper preparation tips:
- Wash your snowmobile to remove dirt and debris and apply a coat of wax afterwards
- Check to see if the gas tank is full and add a fuel stabilizer to prevent corrosion
- Apply fogging oil to the engine
- Grease the suspension
- Remove the battery and the drive belt
- Plug and block openings in your snowmobile such as the exhaust and cooling intake
- Wipe the seat with lubricant
- Create a lift for your snowmobile to rest on by using jack stands or wooden boxes
- Place a breathable cover over your snowmobile while in storage
Where to Store Your Snowmobile
At Public Storage, storage units just perfect for your snowmobile are available nation-wide. Find out more about small vehicle storage at a location near you.
Still have questions about storage? Check out our handy FAQ page for more info!